The financial secretary is chosen by the trustees and the officers of the council for a three year term and approved by the supreme knight. He holds an important position of continuity within the council and has the responsibility of collecting dues as well as ensuring that the council’s financial recordings are kept up to date. Additionally, he ensures that membership records are current, issues membership cards, files regular reports to the district, regional, state and supreme offices and submits the annual 990 to the IRS. Because of his important role, the financial secretary cannot be an undergraduate student, but ideally should be a member of the campus faculty or staff. If no one from the campus community can serve in this role, it should be an adult member of the neighboring community.
- Collects dues from members. Responsible for sending billing notices and initiating retention measures.
- Ensures that the council membership records are updated and that new members sign the constitutional roll.
- Files various reports and membership/insurance transactions with the Supreme Council Office.
- Responsible for completing and submitting the proper Form 990 (U.S. only).
- Keeps the seal of the council and affixes it to membership cards, resolutions and other official documents as necessary.